Below is a 15-minute, extended trailer to promote the documentary film, Dancing Salmon Home, about our efforts to return New Zealand’s McCloud salmon back home to California.
Dancing Salmon Home is a 60-minute documentary, still in the making, that will chronicle the Winnemem’s remarkable journey to New Zealand this spring where we were reunited with the McCloud River salmon after 70 years of separation. The film will depict the cultural connections and friendships we formed with local Maori tribes, and it will follow us as we take the first step toward returning the New Zealand salmon, which originated from the McCloud River, back home.
News coverage of the Winnemem salmon journey and ceremony:
- “California Tribes Hopes to Woo Salmon Home“, New York Times, March 20, 2010
- “A Salmon Returns,” Christian Science Monitor, May 25, 2010
- “Would they fumigate the Pope?” GlobalPost, June 10, 2010
- “Atonement” Te Karaka, Fall 2010
- “Honored Abroad, Ignored at Home: The Cruelty of Federal Tribal Recognition” Change.org, Oct. 30, 2010
- Maori TV story